In this episode of Life Science Success, my guest is Gaurav Kapoor. Gaurav is a co-founder of Indegene, a digital-first life sciences commercialization company with 19 of the world’s top 20 biopharma companies as clients. Gaurav is an expert in life sciences commercialization, having pioneered the co-commercialization model at Indegene. He has close to 25 years of experience in the technology-led healthcare solutions space.
Part 1: Introduction and Background
- Don Davis: Host of the Life Science Success Podcast, focuses on strategy, people, process, and technology in life sciences. He also has a weekly series on LinkedIn Live about scaling organizations.
- Gaurav Kapoor: Co-founder of Indegene, a digital-first life sciences commercialization company. They work with 19 of the world’s top 20 biopharma companies.
Part 2: Journey and Motivation
- Gaurav Kapoor: Shares his 25-year journey with Indegene. Initially focused on bridging the knowledge gap between doctors and the pharma industry using data and technology. They digitized thousands of hours of content from medical conferences.
Part 3: Business Model and Shifts
- Indegene initially focused on B2C but shifted to a B2B model. They also moved their focus to the U.S. market due to its innovation and concentration of pharma companies.
Part 4: Industry Changes and Adaptation
- Significant industry changes around 2010 due to the patent cliff led to a focus on centralization and compliance.
- Indegene started reimagining the sales and marketing model around 2015, predicting a shift towards an omni-channel approach.
Part 5: Co-Commercialization
- Indegene pioneered co-commercialization, focusing on an omni-channel sales model and a “launch in a box” platform for mid-pharma and biotech companies. This allows for leaner, more efficient launches and operations.
Part 6: Future Outlook
- Both Don and Gaurav discuss the need for the industry to continue evolving, especially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. They express hope that the new efficiencies and approaches adopted during the pandemic will become the new normal.